In my opinion the Internet is kind of the most wonderful
thing to happen to the human race since agriculture, transportation and medicine.
It allows us to meet new people, purchase lovely new things, watch interesting
films and shows, travel the world, carve out a new identity and be whomever we
want to be, all from the comfort and safety of our homes. It’s an agoraphobes
dream come true! But have you ever considered the fact that there may be people
out there who are using they Internet to fool you; because they have ulterior
motives; because they are sinister and cruel and feel secure behind the veil of
their monitors...
I don’t mean to go all fear-monger-ey on you but it’s
happening right now and it’s likely you’ve even experienced it yourself. I’m
online everyday and I see it every day. It’s called cyber-bullying and it comes
in all shapes and sizes.
SOURCE: http://270c81.medialib.glogster.com/beccam666/media/1f/1f17f53fcf5af4d5e780896f2ec5229f881c2a46/iphone-cyberbully-1yo7t8a.jpg
Now if you haven’t been living under a rock for the last few
years you’d have seen articles like this
one on theaustralian.com.au and heard of the growing endemic of
cyber-bullying and it’s devastating effects on our youth. You’ll know that
children as young as 13
and 14
years old all over the world are taking their lives because of the embarrassment
and shame caused by disgusting comments littering their profile pages. At the
best of times our world can be mean and nasty, throw in a little anonymity and
the worst human traits appear to grow exponentially.
Now if you’re sitting there thinking ‘it’s not that bad,
I’ve never had that bad an online
experience’ you have to bear in mind that you are just one of over 2.4 million Internet users.
But if you are thinking that, well I
am a little bit too. We’re the lucky ones. I’ve never been on the receiving end
of a purely hateful message but I have seen them and they can range from
humorously offensive to downright sickening. I often find myself in a ‘comments
box vortex’ where I can’t tear my eyes away from the screen because it seems
the trolls have
kicked off a troll-off. Its like a virtual car accident, I’m walking past ever
so slowly watching the horror unfold thinking ‘how can these people be so
cruel?’ and ‘what exactly do they think they’re achieving?’
Well according to Mishna, Saini & Solomon, trolls, cyber-bullies,
whatever you like to call them, behave this way for all the same reasons as
regular face-to-face bullies but the results are far worse. The ever-present
and non-stop nature of cyber-bullying means there’s no safe place for victims
to rest, it’s often faceless and forceful and of course our children have no
reference with which to defend themselves or deal with it.
But it’s not always children bullying children; sometimes
it’s adults
bullying children. At other times it’s adults actively preying on children
but studies and initiatives like this
one by the Australian Institute of Criminology and this one by
the Terres De Hommes International Federation for Children are actively
cracking down and making a difference.
Some online personalities have had enough. Lindsay
Bottos, courageous and spirited woman and blogger, is holding a mirror up
to her online community, simultaneously shaming those who have left her
negative remarks whilst successfully showcasing her innovation and guts. Bravo Lindsay! I applaud your approach
and can feel a full online movement a-brewing.
There’s so much more I could say, so many more sad and awful
facets to the dark side of social media. But I’m going to finish with this: it has to stop. And the only way to
stop it, as with bullying in real life, is to stand up and make a difference.
Don’t let those trolls hi-jack that beautiful page with their vomitus. Don’t
let that child feel neglected and alone. Pay attention to what’s happening out
there because we’re all connected and all a part of it. In the words of the
late Michael Jackson “heal the world, make it a better place” – that goes for
the digital world too.
REFERENCES:
Bahadur, N 2014, ‘Blogger
Lindsay Bottos is using her internet haters’ own words to fight back’, huffingtonpost.com,
viewed 2 February 2014, <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/03/lindsay-bottos-tumblr-anonymous-comments_n_4703344.html>
Bottos, L 2014, lindsaybottos.tumblr.com, viewed 5 February
2014, < http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/03/lindsay-bottos-tumblr-anonymous-comments_n_4703344.html>
Carswell, A 2013, ‘Parents take extreme action on faceless
bullying’, theaustralian.com.au,
viewed 5 February 2014, <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/parents-take-extreme-action-on-faceless-bullying/story-e6frg6n6-1226646307704>
Cuneo,
C & McDougall B, 2013, ‘Madeleine Milne didn’t know how much she was
loved’, The Daily Telegraph, viewed 5
February 2014, <http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/madeleine-milne-didnt-know-how-much-she-was-loved/story-fncvk70o-1226637189275>
‘Cyberbullying causes another
teen suicide’, 2013,
essentialkids.com.au, viewed 5 February 2014, <http://www.essentialkids.com.au/older-kids/education-for-older-kids/cyberbullying-causes-another-teen-suicide-20130807-2rekx.html>
Grosskopf,
A 2010, 'Online interactions involving suspected paedophiles who engage male
children', Trends & issues in crime
and criminal justice, no. 403, viewed 5 February 2014, <http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current
series/tandi/401-420/tandi403.html>
Internet World Stats, 2012, internetworldstats.com,
viewed 5 February 2014, <http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm>
Mishna,
F, Saini, M & Solomon, S 2009, ‘Ongoing and online: Children and youth’s
perception of cyberbullying’, Children
and Youth Services Review, Volume 31, Issue 12, pages 1222-1228
‘Stop webcam child sex tourism’, 2014, terredeshommes.org,
viewed 5 February 2013, <http://www.terredeshommes.org/webcam-child-sex-tourism/>
‘Suicide of Megan Meier’, 2014, wikipedia.org, viewed 5
February 2014, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Megan_Meier>
Troll (Internet), 2014, wikipedia.org, viewed 5 February
2014, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29>


Hi Valentina, I agree the internet is a great creation but the down side it can be dangerous. I think people should always check their settings so only friends can view their information, that way they keep unwanted viewers out. Your right it's not just children who get bullied but adults too.
ReplyDeleteA well informed and interesting post Valentina. Cyber bullying is one of those unfortunate and tricky things that has come out of the internet - it is so difficult to control and change. I have to agree it is up to us and the people around us to stop negative behaviour in its track - to stand up for others and ourselves.
ReplyDelete