Saturday, 23 November 2013

Aloha everyone, and Bienvenue! My name is Valentina and this is my Social Media blog.

Earlier this year, after 10 years out of university and bumming around not really knowing what to do with my life, I decided to go back to study and forge a career in Public Relations, with a focus on psychology. Eventually I'd like to merge PR and Social Media working for an NGO such as Oxfam or The Red Cross, or another not-for-profit organisation that works to end global poverty and create a better world for all - a wonderful goal that keeps me going every day. But today's post is about getting a kick start in blogging and what about blogging is important to me.

First off, the face of media is evolving every second of every day, and blogs (web logs) and vlogs (video logs) are just one of the remarkable developments to result from this instantaneous, global beast. With massive advancements in technology and the decreasing cost of computers and gear, almost anyone can have a voice on the internet. This is both a good and bad thing, but let's focus on the good.

source: http://www.123rf.com


Having a voice is having power. One of the most amazing things I see on the net these days is people making movies, shows, music, spoken word, poetry - whatever it may be - to help empower those that do not have a voice. It might be to strengthen unity between races, level the playing field between men and women, protect children, animals and our environment. No matter what the cause, there is someone out there using their digital voice to speak up. And isn't that just plain awesome?! What I love about the internet and blogs, is that they make it possible to widen your community, to find and reach out to those people who think and feel just like you, and together you can work towards a common goal even if you live thousands of miles apart. Again, this is just amazing! Strangers can create a global movement, without ever meeting, that can change people's lives. Take my favourite blogger Gala Darling for example. When I first discovered Gala in 2006 her blog was simple and had a focus on fashion, friendliness and being an all-round lovely person. Over the years Gala realised that in a world filled with toxic image abuse subscribing to typical western beauty, her followers responded much more deeply to her message of teaching women to fall in love with themselves and practice gratitude; this began to snowball into what is now called The Radical Self-Love Project amongst several other online concepts that Gala has created. Now Gala has millions of followers who truly strive to love themselves so that they can in turn love others. And every week Gala posts something whimsical, delightful and inspiring to remind us all to start with ourselves. 

B is for Blogging!


Of course there are a gazillion other bloggers out there who may be doing something you deem more 'worthwhile' but I genuinely believe Miss Gala Darling helped to open my world and my mind. All through the power of words and the internet. Others such as the team at Upworthy post 'things worth sharing' and ask their audience to 'pass 'em on'. Upworthy email me snippets of their blog every week day and it's the way I discover all those incredible people speaking up for others - honestly, sign up for the email, they will send you quirky videos and infographics exhibiting our spectacular humanity and it may just change your perspective on a few things.

Blogging is an incredible medium. It's timely, dynamic, electric and can be super influential. It makes information accessible and fun and you can hop from one to the other picking up tips, how-to's, instructables and can-do's from generous people who love to write. 

I'm clearly a big fan of the internet and blogs but what about you? Do you follow any bloggers? Do you have a favourite blogger or website? Why? Let me know in the comments below, I'd love to see what excites you about blogging...

Thanks for spending time with me,
Valentina xx

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I am so impressed with your blog. Visually I was so attracted by it and I was so engaged through out reading it. I am so excited to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Valentina, I really enjoyed reading your blog and your references. I look forward to reading your future blogs and watching you grow as a true blogger.

    Well Done!
    Portia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys, thank you for the very kind messages. I'm glad you enjoyed my blog… I hope to improve as the TP goes on so thanks in advance for keeping me on my toes!

    ReplyDelete